With social media and internet usage growing and expanding, the question ‘how many people are on Facebook?’ is on everyone’s minds.
The answer to that question is simple enough, but the answers to the questions linked to it are even more mind-boggling.
What is Facebook?
Facebook is a social media platform that allows users to create profiles with their personal information, store photographs and videos, share links, talk to friends in real time, send private messages, send public messages, create groups, event pages, business pages and even advertise.
It has grown and morphed so much that its uses are incredibly multi-functional and multi-dimensional.
How many people are on Facebook?
By 2011, a statistics company worked out that Facebook has over 500 million users. This is an incredibly high number but recent survey’s have revealed that the number in 2012 has shot to over 900 million people!
However, how many of those users actually use Facebook regularly rather than creating profiles and then leaving them to die online? The answer: over 250 million users log in every single day.
This means that over 50 percent of Facebook users are regularly checking their profiles and going about their business on Facebook. Approximately one in 13 people have and use the popular social networking site.
How often do people use Facebook?
As stated above, 50 percent of Facebook users log in to Facebook every single day.
According to statistics, 48 percent of 18 to 34 year olds check Facebook first thing in the morning and 28 percent of that group do so before they even get out of bed.
What do people use Facebook for?
Facebook has a large number of uses including the following:
- Communication with friends and family
- Sharing photographs with friends and family
- Sharing videos, links, quotes and much more
- Getting the latest news updates
- Following certain businesses for tips and updates
- To punt your own business to the public
There are, of course, many more uses but there is simply not the space to list them.
The rule of thumb is: if you can dream it up, you can probably do it on Facebook.
More interesting statistics
Other incredibly figures include the following (courtesy of Online Schools):
- 70 percent of Facebook users live outside of the United States of America
- In both 2009 and 2010, Facebook was the most searched term online
- Over 50 percent of users admit that they talk to their friends and family more through Facebook than in any other way
- Just under 50 percent of young Americans admitted that they read their news on Facebook
- 750 million photographs were uploaded to Facebook over New Year’s weekend
Why should you get a Facebook profile?
Facebook is an incredibly powerful, fast moving tool that can be made to work in your favour.
While many people remain somewhat terrified by the quickness of communication and apparent openness of the Facebook world, there are just too many benefits of having a profile to let it slide.
If you are not yet part of it and you’re not sure that you want to, the following points may change your mind:
- Facebook is not completely public. You can change the settings on your profile so that no-one but the people you have added as friends can see any of your details or information.
- You can see what is going on in the lives of friends and family members that live far away from you by simply clicking on their profiles.
- You can communicate with people quickly, either by writing on their walls, sending them private messages or chatting to them live if you are both online at the same time.
- You can share photographs with friends and family members quickly and easily and you can find photographs from others.
- You can find businesses, organisations, groups or events that you are interested in or create your own.
- If you have a business you can conduct successful, free advertising through Facebook.
- You can log on at any time, in any place provided you have an internet connection.
You can join Facebook today Here.